[Pharmwaste] Difficulty submitting comments on DEA proposed disposal rules

Ed Gottlieb egottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Fri Feb 1 14:59:53 EST 2013

Hi All,

To comment on DEA’s proposed disposal rules go to:
http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitComment;D=DEA-2012-0008-0001

If you follow the directions in the Federal Register using a standard
search, you will not find the comment form.
It is only found using advanced search.

Here are the details of how I located where to comment:

Following this link:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2012-12-21/pdf/2012-30699.pdf
Led me to the correct Fed Register Document:

DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
Drug Enforcement Administration
21 CFR Parts 1300, 1301, 1304, 1305,
1307, 1317, and 1321
[Docket No. DEA–316]
RIN 1117–AB18
Disposal of Controlled Substances
AGENCY: Drug Enforcement
Administration (DEA), Department of
Justice.
ACTION: Notice of proposed rulemaking.

On the first page of this document are instructions for submitting
comments:

ADDRESSES: To ensure proper handling
of comments, please reference ‘‘Docket
No. DEA–316’’ on all electronic and
written correspondence. DEA
encourages all comments be submitted
electronically through http://
www.regulations.gov using the
electronic comment form provided on
that site. An electronic copy of this
document is also available at the http://
www.regulations.gov Web site for easy
reference.
At www.regulations.gov I did a search for Docket No. DEA–316 which
yielded 11 results.  None are for the proposed rules and all said
either “Comment Period Closed” or “Comments Not Accepted“.
I did a similar search for RIN 1117–AB18, which is also listed as a
reference number (see above), with the exact same results.
The first page also includes a contact for more information:

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: John
W. Partridge, Executive Assistant, Office
of Diversion Control, Drug Enforcement
Administration; Mailing Address: 8701
Morrissette Drive, Springfield, Virginia
22152; Telephone: (202) 307–4654.

A staff member there researched the situation and called me back to
explain how to comment electronically:

At http://www.regulations.gov/
Click on “Advanced search”.
There you need to click on:
Open for Comment
Then on Document type:
Proposed Rule

At, “By Agency”, type in “DEA”

Then click “Search”.

This will bring you to the correct place to comment:

http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitComment;D=DEA-2012-0008-0001

Lisa, the DEA person who walked me through this, said the difficultly
in finding where to comment has nothing to do with the DEA.  It is a
function of the regulations.gov website.

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator
Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility
525 3rd Street
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607) 273-8381
fax: (607) 273-8433