[Pharmwaste] RESTART with links: Rx Waste/Drug Waste Universal International Symbol

Volkman, Jennifer (MPCA) jennifer.volkman at state.mn.us
Fri Feb 22 14:18:55 EST 2013

I'm sorry Laurie and list serve participants, but I do think this is an important issue. There is a lot going on with universal symbols for consumer products/HHW-- we just talked about it at an education meeting yesterday. We talked about how we'd integrate them into our current publications that currently only reference the wording, not symbols. It seems they are going to do away with the traditional "Caution, Danger, Warning, Poison" wording and replace those on consumer products with the dissolving hand, dead fish, etc. symbols in yellow/black.

With that fresh in my mind, I thought oh, hey, this is the one for pharmaceuticals! I forwarded it to the education committee. Then I thought, what the hey, usage restrictions and a GARBAGE CAN? I think it should be called out because clearly this is NOT a universally symbol that has been approved by any regulatory agency or consumer products safety group. DEA and many others on this list serve are not advocating trash disposal, so this is inappropriate symbology as well. I was totally sucked in by it initially, I'll admit it, I don't want others to be.

Here is an article about the EU developing a universal symbol for "risky" drugs. The symbol has not yet been designed or approved, but I believe the article may be of interest:

http://www.in-pharmatechnologist.com/Regulatory-Safety/EC-asks-pharmas-how-long-to-add-black-symbol-to-risky-drugs

More on the EU symbol development:
http://ec.europa.eu/health/files/pharmacovigilance/2012_11_09_pb__black.pdf

I found this listing of symbols that references caution, danger, etc:
http://web.ita.doc.gov/tacgi/overseasnew.nsf/ddce3b5aade1787c8525789d0049aeb2/628a8037ff4aa3d68525789d0049cea3/$FILE/EU%20labeling.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazard_symbol

Thanks,
JV