[Pharmwaste] Pharmaceuticals in municipal wastewater

Jim Mullowney jmullowney at pharma-cycle.com
Mon Sep 29 14:54:40 EDT 2014

I agree with Mitch except for Cytotoxic chemotherapy drugs and when I
questioned his work in regards to Chemo this was his response:

"Hi Jim:

Thanks for your helpful comment. I do think genotoxic pharmaceuticals
deserve special treatment, and will try and emphasize this point in future
presentations.

I did recognize the fact that equating daily doses of different
pharmaceuticals regardless of endpoint was problematic (mentioning
chemotherapy agents in particular), but should also point out that genotoxic
drugs may not have a threshold effect level, and would probably be better
evaluated using approaches similar to those used for estimating risks from
low level radiation exposure."

Mitch

Lahne Mattas-Curry

U.S. EPA

Office of Research and Development

Communications

Office: 202.564.3165

cell: 202.573.0346"

So I would argue that our water is safe except for Cytotoxic chemotherapy
drugs and we need a national policy on controlling cytotoxic drugs and the
urine and feces that contain the drugs similar to the way we control uranium
and plutonium as they have similar Genotoxic properties.

Once again check out www.cytotoxicsafety.org

Thank you all

Jim Mullowney