[Pharmwaste] Destruction Products

Ed Gottlieb EGottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Fri Apr 10 12:05:22 EDT 2015

Brian,

Not sure if my reply yesterday was posted.  So, I expanded on it and am sending it again.

Also, I will try to share a spreadsheet with information on all the disposal products I located.
You and others are welcome to edit or add to it.

Charlotte and Stephen are correct, the DEA has bailed on their highly successful take back initiative.

The product you mention, and similar products, claim to meet the DEA's non-retrievable standard.  Most use some form of activated carbon and water as their primary method.  Bentonite clay is also used.  Some use a gelling agent to solidify the dissolved/adsorbed/absorbed medications.

I have spoken with Disposaltechnologies and other manufactures (DrugBusters, CACTUS Smart Sink.)  The evidence two provided (DrugBusters didn't send info), to show they meet the non-retrievable standard, has not (yet) been peer reviewed.  They told me that the DEA sent agents to their factory and arranged to test their product, concluding that they were effective.  They expressed frustration that the DEA has not provided them with a written statement to this effect.

My guess is that the DEA is concerned that if they certify a product, it will appear to be an endorsement, something they are probably forbidden to do.  I left a message with Disposaltechnologies DEA contact, who I have spoken to before.  Maybe I'll have better luck in getting a response.  Not holding my breath...

Liquids have been a side discussion here.  My program (nine boxes) accepts them and we have had no problems.

As another aside, pills in blister packs would be a problem for these types of products.  Pills would need to be removed before adding them.

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator
Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility
525 3rd Street
Ithaca, NY  14850
(607) 273-8381
fax: (607) 273-8433