[Pharmwaste] SIGN -ON REQUEST: Please join our comment letter calling for end to FDA’s medicine “flush list”

Heidi Sanborn hksanborn at comcast.net
Tue Dec 15 07:38:47 EST 2015

Dear supporters of water pollution prevention, product stewardship, and good government:

As this listserv is keenly aware, leftover medicines lingering in our homes are both a public health threat and an environmental concern.  Improper disposal of medicines by flushing contributes to the serious problem of pharmaceutical pollution in the environment.  Public awareness has significantly improved in the last few years that leftover medicines should not be flushed or should not be thrown in the household trash.  Medicine take-back programs are the safest way to get rid of unwanted medications, protecting our families and our waterways.  However, the public is confused by conflicting messages on medicine disposal coming from the FDA, the DEA, the EPA.

Please join our effort to stop  the FDA’s ongoing recommendation to flush certain medicines down toilets or drains. See the FDA’s website at:  http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm101653.htm  that lists medicines that should be flushed, and also does not clearly recommend the use of medicine take-back programs.

We will send the attached comment letter to Acting FDA Commissioner Stephen Ostroff no later than January 13th.

To add your organization’s name, or your name as an individual, please reply to me at heidi at calpsc.org <mailto:heidi at calpsc.org>  no later than January 12th 5pm 2016.

*         State whether who/what you are signing on behalf of: an organization, or whether you are an individual signer.

*         State exactly how you want the name and title listed on the letter.

*         Please provide your logo for organizations.

Help us increase the impact of this letter, by encouraging other agencies and organizations in your community to sign on too!

If you have questions about this letter, our efforts to promote the use of medicine take-back programs funded by producers not taxpayers, please contact me.

Heidi

Heidi Sanborn, Executive Director
(916) 706-3420  office  (916) 402-3911 cell   <mailto:Heidi at CalPSC.org> Heidi at CalPSC.org

 <http://www.calpsc.org/>  <http://www.calpsc.org/> Web    <http://www.youtube.com/calpsc>   <http://www.youtube.com/calpsc> YouTube    <http://www.facebook.com/pages/California-Product-Stewardship-Council/260410326394>   <http://www.facebook.com/pages/California-Product-Stewardship-Council/260410326394> Facebook    <http://twitter.com/CalPSC>   <http://twitter.com/CalPSC> Twitter    <http://linkedin.com/companies/275758/california+product+stewardship+council>   <http://linkedin.com/companies/275758/california+product+stewardship+council> Linked In

--.