[Pharmwaste] RE: FDA letter and Vermont Gov calling for reduced rx.

Volkman, Jennifer (MPCA) jennifer.volkman at state.mn.us
Fri Jan 8 13:39:31 EST 2016

I'd still advocate to keep them separate. I'd have to withdraw my Agency's signature if the concept is expanded to include eliminating off-label use of antibiotics in livestock production because we do not regulate agriculture. The instructions to sewer that go home attached to the prescription bags confuse people about other pharms they have and likely lead to additional unnecessary sewering. We need to stop the mixed message now and it is a very simple fix.

Focus is critical to get this change and this letter has that focus. I also believe we'd get better success if we separate the large source reduction issues into separate letters as well. You've mentioned eliminating off-label use of antibiotics in livestock; changing Medicare trial prescription language; promoting alternatives to pain relievers and buying less. Each one of those has a certain regulatory audience and different supporting information to explain the importance of the issue and how to resolve it. Getting organizations to sign is dependent on the focus of the issue as well. I'm sure the IATP would be a large supporter of eliminating pharms in livestock production, but they probably don't have time to support this letter to FDA or buying less. Many people on this list serve would be happy to help bring these other critically important issues forward. I'm willing to help and I appreciate your energy on this issue, because it is not my strongest area.

Cheers,
JV