[Pharmwaste] FW: Request Support for Cook County's proposed extended producer responsibility ordinance

Margaret Shield margaret.shield at cehstrategies.com
Sat Mar 19 00:46:03 EDT 2016

There's an often forgotten contributor to pharmaceutical pollution -
manufacturing releases. Perhaps we in the U.S. often neglect this as so much
pharmaceutical manufacturing occurs outside our borders.

I found this USGS study on manufacturing facility releases in NY state
fascinating.  Levels far higher than in regular wastewater from excretion
and flushing of excess medicines.  I wonder what else is being done on this
industrial source that needs reducing:
http://toxics.usgs.gov/highlights/PMFs.html

The available evidence does not allow us to accurately define the relative
contributions of all the sources of pharmaceutical pollution in our
waterways.  Working towards proper disposal of the 30% or more of
unused/expired medicines sold to consumers also serves to reduce access to
medicines that could be diverted or misused.  Saving lives from the acute
threat of addiction, poisonings, and overdoses.  Pharmaceutical pollution is
the chronic threat.  That is the rationale behind the emphasis on medicine
take-back. Of course, one approach does not negate the need for
comprehensive approaches, including source reduction efforts on all fronts.

Margaret Shield, PhD

Community Environmental Health Strategies, LLC

Smart Science & Policy for Our Health and Environment

Seattle, WA

 <mailto:margaret.shield at CEHstrategies.com>
margaret.shield at CEHstrategies.com

mobile:  206-499-5452

 <http://www.linkedin.com/in/margaretshield>
www.linkedin.com/in/margaretshield

P.S. There is no safe level of exposure to lead for a child.
http://www.toxipedia.org/display/toxipedia/Health+Effects+of+Lead