[Pharmwaste] FW: Request Support for Cook County's proposed extended producer responsibility ordinance

Scott Cassel scott at productstewardship.us
Mon Mar 21 21:55:50 EDT 2016

Allen and Catherine,

To address your questions about source reduction:

EPR promotes source reduction by making mfrs pay for disposing of what is left over. If they reduce what is left over, they reduce their costs. That is an incentive, and it works on many products, and will work on pharms to a certain degree. Even so, EPR is only one tool for waste reduction and materials management, which is often addressed by other policies as well. Recall that the WEEE directive in Europe on electronics is supplemented by the RoHS directive (bans/restricts the use of hazardous substances). Our EPR laws for pharmaceuticals can include restrictions on dispensing drugs, such as what was included in the MA comprehensive drug abuse prevention law (7 day maximum supply). Perhaps we can do better than that.

Regarding the costs of EPR being passed to consumers...the cost is not necessarily passed directly to the consumer because the manufacturer has the option of recovering that cost throughout their supply chain. However, we all know that product prices reflect the costs along the supply chain, and that is how it should be. Unfortunately, we are a long way from consumers paying the true cost of products. To argue that drug prices might go up because pharmaceutical companies will pay for drug take back is to say that it is not worth safely managing pharmaceuticals, and I know you don't believe that. Let's all work on all phases of reducing the problem, including changing prescription practices, and including such provisions in EPR legislation.

What specifically do you suggest?

Scott

____________________________
Scott Cassel
Chief Executive Officer/Founder
Product Stewardship Institute, Inc.
29 Stanhope Street
Boston, MA 02116
617-236-4822 (ph)
617-236-4766 (fax)
scott at productstewardship.us<mailto:scott at productstewardship.us>
www.productstewardship.us<http://www.productstewardship.us/>
Click to follow us on Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Product-Stewardship-Institute/224328115936?ref=ts> and Twitter<http://twitter.com/productsteward> and Blog<http://productstewardshipinstitute.wordpress.com/>