[Pharmwaste] Liquid Pharmaceuticals

Vickie Davis vdavis at uvlsrpc.org
Wed Mar 30 14:50:01 EDT 2016

Hello,

My apologies if this has already been discussed as meds are not the major focus of my job, and I only skim the e-mails on pharmwaste.

I have someone who would like to dispose of pre-charged heparin syringes.  The police stations with daily take-back programs do not take liquid medicine.  This is understandable since it gets tossed into a box and glass could get broken or plastic squashed to splash medicine in the box.  So, I thought perhaps the annual DEA collections might be the answer.  I had already called the "big" pharmacy at our "big" hospital, and they are not going to take any meds, and it's not legal in NH for them to do so.

I called DEA in Virginia and was told that the national DEA collections do not take liquid medicine.  The person I spoke with directed me to an EPA phone number.  I did not call as I assumed they would tell me to mix the liquid with something dry and throw it into the trash.  I then called the regional DEA office in New Hampshire and was told that the national program CAN take liquids.  I explained my previous conversation, and that it is not comfortable to share information if I don't know for sure that everyone agrees that liquid can be taken.  I don't want to send people to these annual or semi-annual collections with liquid medicine and have them turned away with not resolution about what to do with liquid meds.  I left a message for a guy at DEA who's on vacation, but I suspect that my one voice is not going to make a change at DEA.

I then called a local police station to ask if they would accept liquids at the national collection.  This police station is in a little city (that's all we have if they are cities at all in this rural neck of the woods) that services many towns.  The detective said that they already have a box through DEA and although they will participate in the national collection, the box states they cannot take liquid so they won't take liquids at the national collection.  To get off the phone with me, he told me they would take liquid meds from this one person I'm trying to find a solution for.  This actually wasn't helpful as the person lives away from here in Vermont.

My concern is not having a standard message at DEA which then gets shared with local police participating in the national collection.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?  It feels like a big hole in the drug takeback program.  I don't think  the liquid meds should go in the landfill.  Is it possible to collectively or individually send a message to DEA or is it not a problem for you?  This type of unclear directive really frustrates me.

Thank you.

Vickie

Victoria Davis
Upper Valley Lake Sunapee Regional Planning Commission
10 Water Street, Suite 225
Lebanon, NH 03766
603-448-1680
603-448-0170 fax