[Pharmwaste] Liquid Pharmaceuticals

DeBiasi, Deborah (DEQ) Deborah.DeBiasi at deq.virginia.gov
Wed Mar 30 15:45:48 EDT 2016

            I have dealt with this issue in Virginia, and have found conflicting information as well.  Many of the metal drug collection boxes that law enforcement are using have "No Liquids" printed on them, along with other restrictions.  I suspect the ban on liquids was an attempt at preventing spills in the collection bags.  Law enforcement isn't subject to a lot of the restrictions that DEA imposes, and certainly not subject to what's printed on a collection box, so they can accept liquids if they want to.

            Law enforcement has the opportunity to see what citizens are dropping in the collection boxes during a drug collection event, whether it is DEA sponsored or local law enforcment sponsored.  The opportunity is there for the lids to be tightened on bottles of liquid medications to prevent leakage.  Most bottles are plastic these days, so that further reduces the potential for breakage.

            I have talked to the Covanta waste-to-energy incinerator folks enough to know that they don't have a problem with getting liquids in the incinerators.  Knowing that, the only other issue that DEA may have is just to reduce cost on incinerating all the drugs collected at these take back events, since liquids add more weight than a similar volume of pills.

Deborah DeBiasi
804-698-4028
Deborah.DeBiasi at deq.virginia.gov