[Pharmwaste] DEA collection results reported

Chris Angel chrisangel at greatlakes-us-cleanwater.org
Tue May 10 14:26:28 EDT 2016

To All,

The DEA is responding to community demand to provide these take back
days even after the passing of the Secure and Responsible Drug Act of
2010 (SRDA) was passed. It has been DEA's contention since the SRDA was
passed that these take back days should be replaced by more permanent
solutions ie. Pharmacy take back programs.

Calculating the total weight collected during the last two DEA sponsored
and funded take back days a total of  1,595,863 pounds x 1.00 per
pound(a very low estimate to collect and incinerate) would be a
staggering $1,595.863.00
Even at $.50 per pound that would be $797,931.00

Divide those dollar amounts by $300.00 (the cost of a pharmacy based
collection program)
and we get totals of 2660 (using the.50 per pound rate ) or 5320 (using
the 1.00 per pound rate.

So the money that DEA has spent just in the last year could have
provided for 5320 or 2660 permanent
collection sites at pharmacies where residents could properly dispose of
RX-Waste every day of the year that the pharmacy is open.

Again DEA is responding to the need and providing a temporary solution
and they should be applauded for doing so. However the dollar amount
spent is a concern for an ever increasing need as evidenced by the
record-setting amount collected. Possibly the DEA funds could be
directed to even in part sponsor pharmacy cost on a temporary basis.
This solution would be more in line with what the intention of Secure
and Responsible Drug

Chris

---
Chris angel, President