[Pharmwaste] DEA collection results reported

Ed Gottlieb EGottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Tue May 10 15:09:50 EDT 2016

Chris,

You estimate a range of collection and disposal costs for the recent DEA event.  I'm guessing they don't include outreach.  I spoke to someone in the DEA Public Affairs office today (on another topic) and they happened to mention that the DEA spent one million dollars promoting the last collection event!

This only reinforces the point that permanent collection boxes are a less expensive disposal option than one day events.  And, how can we not support the DEA spending our tax dollars in the most cost effective way possible?

Yet, when I think about the DEA buying permanent receptacles for pharmacies, I have reason to pause.  Collection and disposal should not remain an externalized cost for manufactures, to be borne by tax payers.  Take back programs, including collection receptacles, should be paid for by pharmaceutical manufactures.  It is time for a national EPR law!

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal