[Pharmwaste] DEA collection results reported

margaret.shield at cehstrategies.com margaret.shield at cehstrategies.com
Tue May 10 15:53:41 EDT 2016

I'm in agreement with Chris that ongoing secure drop boxes at pharmacies,
and I would add at hospitals, are the goal. Those locations will be far more
convenient and user-friendly than periodic collection events or drop boxes
in police stations.
I'm in agreement with Ed that the costs need to be internalized by the
pharmaceutical industry that is making these products that need to be
properly managed.  That will provide the sustainable funding to support
convenient ongoing collection sites.

Then I want to shout out thanks to local law enforcement who are really
paying for much of the DEA-coordinated events.  Taking officers and deputies
off the streets and/or paying overtime for these Saturday collection events.
Local law enforcement are staffing most of the collection sites, and hauling
the boxes of medicines to central DEA sites afterwards.  DEA provides the
final destruction of the collected medicines.  And DEA does promotion, but
so do local police, governments, and organizations.
So really much of the costs is not paid for in cash by DEA, it's in-kind
from local law enforcement.
Which means it is paid for by tax dollars from you and me, and taxes paid by
local businesses that have nothing to do with the pharmaceutical industry.
Need to fix that.

Margaret Shield, PhD
Community Environmental Health Strategies, LLC
margaret.shield at CEHstrategies.com