[Pharmwaste] New Stericycle med disposal kiosks

Jaramillo, Jeanie Jeanie.Jaramillo at ttuhsc.edu
Tue Aug 8 15:51:34 EDT 2017

We use a kiosk as well, although we maintain it, empty, affix vendor labels and ship on our own. My unwritten question was whether the technician shipped the liner from the pharmacy/site vs. hauling it away in their truck (can't remember if they can legally do that.) I like that it has a sensor for notification of when it's full, although I don't like the idea of locking the drop drawer until the vendor comes. As you all know, experience has shown that if customers come to dispose of their meds and the bin is locked, they'll simply throw them in the trash on their way out the door.

It would be neat if the bins could electronically communicate directly with the vendor when they're full and pickup could then be "on demand". Otherwise, it seems the vendor would be coming either when the bin is not full yet or well after it's full. We are currently spending about $4,500/year on our bin. Some months we may fill one box, other times two boxes can be filled in one day. It's real sporadic. We still do two community-wide take back events per year and they continue to grow in spite of the presence of 4 disposal bins in our community (1 Walgreens, 2 sheriffs' depts., and us). I'm really hoping for the day that all pharmacies have disposal bins.

Dr. Jeanie Jaramillo-Stametz
Managing Director, Texas Panhandle Poison Center
Asst. Professor, Pharmacy Practice
Director, Medication Cleanout
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
School of Pharmacy
jeanie.jaramillo at ttuhsc.edu<mailto:jeanie.jaramillo at ttuhsc.edu>
Office: (806) 414-9402