[Pharmwaste] New Stericycle med disposal kiosks

Ed Gottlieb EGottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Tue Aug 8 16:46:10 EDT 2017

The full service provided by Stericycle, the Yellow Jug Old Drugs Program, and possibly others, is a great service that appeals to many pharmacies.

Having a scale in the box to automatically alert Stericycle to empty it is an interesting innovation.  It isn't a problem if a bunch of (dense) liquids were deposited, causing a premature "full" indication.  I wonder if they ever run into overfill problems when, by chance, a box gets filled only with particularly light items?

Many years ago, the lack of a commercially available, narrow profile drop-box pushed me to partner with a manufacturer to design one.  The solution I came up with to determine the fill level without unlocking the box was to install two frosted Plexiglas windows (roughly 1" x 6") on the back half of the top.  You can shine a flashlight in one and see the level through the other.  The "frosting" prevents details, like personal information on labels, from being readable.  Sorry, the web site doesn't show the view ports.  http://www.takebackexpress.com/slimline-medication-collection-unit/  All but one of our nine law enforcement partners choose this box over the commonly sold ones because it is only 14" deep and fit better in their tight spaces.

Our law enforcement partners empty their bins (that hold 3.5 cubic feet/26 gallons) and transport the inner liners to the Sheriff, who has lots of secure storage space (a trailer we bought for this purpose).  Custody is transferred and the Sheriff holds it until the DEA collection day pick-up.

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Board Member, New York Product Stewardship Council
Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator
Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility
525 3rd Street
Ithaca, NY  14850
(607) 273-8381