shrug-l: Opening Shape file in CAD

Tripp C. Corbin tcorbin@keckwood.com
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:08:32 -0400

AutoCAD by itself does not import Shapefiles. AutoCAD can only read
DWGs, DXF's and DWF's. Autodesk Map and Land Development Desktop, which
has Map embedded, will import Shapefiles, Coverages, MapInfo and DGN
files.

When you import shapefiles using the Map import features, the files are
not shown within the initial directory browser dialog box. This has
confused many a Map and LDD user. To import a shapefile you have to
first go to the directory that contains the shapefiles. Then another
dialog box comes up that allows the user to select which shapefiles are
available for import. It also allows you to select to convert the
attribute information to object data and to reproject the data if
desired.=20

Charles C. (Tripp) Corbin III, MCP
Associate Vice President, GIS/Mapping
Keck & Wood, Inc.