shrug-l: Lat-Long

Hughes, Ronald Ronald.Hughes at dep.state.fl.us
Thu Dec 22 10:32:14 EST 2005

Actually, you need to use ArcToolbox to reproject the shapefile.  All the
steps mention below do is re-define the projection file.  It would be
analogous to assigning a new mailing address to you home without physically
moving it from its current location.  In other words, if your house sits at
800 Main Street and you change the address to 21 Jump Street, the house still
remains at 800 Main Street.

The Present version of ArcToolbox that I have (ArcGIS 9.1) is different from
that what I'd previously had but it appears to work the same way.

Open up ArcToolbox and select Data Management Tools --> Projections and
Transformations --> Project.

Click on Project and a menu should come up that asks for your imput feature
and output (in ArcGIS 9.1 it automatically assigns a 'P' at the end of the
name of the input and places it in the output.  Select the projection that
you want for the output by clicking on the button to the right of the input
window.  That will bring up a menu called "Spatial Reference Properties".

1.) Click the button labeled "Select".

2.) Click the Geographic Coordinate Systems folder

3.) Click the North America folder and select the coordinate system that you
want (probably North American 1983 HARN.prj).

4.) Click the "Add" button and select "OK".

If you have any other questions just ask.

Good luck!