shrug-l: USS Saratoga (CV-60) Museum update

Tripp Corbin tcorbin at keckwood.com
Fri Dec 23 10:37:59 EST 2005

Since the Saratoga as home ported in Jacksonville FL for most of her
commissioned life, I thought some of y'all might be interested in this
update about turning her into a Museum.

Tripp Corbin, GISP
Former USS Saratoga Sailor 88-93

To all Saratoga veterans, community supporters and all of you across
the country who think the Saratoga Museum project is a good idea:

With the holidays upon us and 2005 coming to a close, please consider
a tax-deductible year-end contribution to the USS Saratoga Museum
Foundation, Inc.

We have only good news to report: earlier this year, Rhode Island
Governor Donald Carcieri recommended our project move forward, and on
June 20, the State granted us a free two-year option for the needed
space to moor Sara at the former Quonset/Davisville naval complex..

For the first time, we have a guaranteed place to site this project!
All the political obstacles have been removed: if we raise $10
million by May 1, 2007, the project WILL happen!

In the past few months we have already raised more than $3 million.
Philanthropist Alan Shawn Feinstein has committed a total of $1.55
million to the project. We also have a $1 million commitment from the
Galkin Foundation, a $500,000 bequest, and more than $500,000 in
other commitments and pledges.

Those responsible for building the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in
Washington faced a similar challenge, and they raised the money they
needed in donations, from more than 275,000 individuals, companies
and civic organizations. They proudly say, "Government didn't build
this monument; the people did."

We want to say the same for Saratoga Park. We are raising funds from
all over the USA. Ambitious? Absolutely! But we have the ship
reserved for us; we have a berth for the Saratoga; and we are well on
the way to raising the needed $10 million.

As an added incentive, Alan Shawn Feinstein has made a $100,000
challenge grant; that means that every dollar you contribute will be
matched dollar for dollar, thus doubling the impact of your gift.

In order to receive this generous grant, we must meet certain goals
and deadlines. We need your gift now.

A donation form is attached; the form can also be downloaded from the
web site at http://www.saratogamuseum.org/support/feinstein1205.pdf.
If you prefer you can make a donation online at
http://www.saratogamuseum.org/form.html or call me personally at
401-831-8696.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and all the best for the New Year to
all of you and your loved ones.

Frank Lennon
USS Saratoga Museum Foundation, Inc.