shrug-l: Cartastrophies> Great article on Map Mistakes

C. Henry Depew sisu26@nettally.com
Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:48:33 -0500

Greetings!
      In addition to the site noted herein, there is a wonderful book on
the subject that you-all might find interesting.  An extract of
my review for a publication is noted below.

C. Henry Depew

At 04:27 PM 1/7/2005, Cross, Louis wrote:
>For those who don't receive GeoWorld
>(<http://www.geoplace.com>www.geoplace.com) this month's issue has a great
>article on Map Mistakes - Five Major Errors Unraveled by Susan Fowler.
>Some of the noted cartastrophies from the shrug conference resurface!
>
><http://www.geoplace.com/uploads/FeatureArticle/0501mm.asp>http://www.geoplace.com/uploads/FeatureArticle/0501mm.asp

      One of the most important maps in our early history was
the one used to set the borders of the new United States of
America.  The map included the works of others which showed two
islands in Lake Superior.  One of these islands was used as part
of the northern boundary.  Unfortunately, the island did not
exist.  Another item of interest to some is that the "New World"
was discovered by one person and named after another (whose
writings were published first to a wide audience) even though
neither were the "first" Europeans to make landfall.
      This book is a readable academic treatise on maps that
played a role in the development of the New World and the people
involved.

TITLE:         The Mismapping of America
AUTHOR:        Seymour I. Schwartz
PUBLISHER:     Univ. of Rochester Press
DATE:          2003