shrug-l: Cartastrophies> Great article on Map Mistakes

Adam Carnow AdamCarnow@WilsonMiller.com
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:16:13 -0500

There is also a good book called How to Lie with Maps
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0226534219/qid=1105373654/sr=
1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-2523722-1657420?v=glance&s=books).

There is also a great web tool for choosing color schemes especially for
those that are colorblind that was developed by Professor Brewer at Ohio
State:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/c/a/cab38/ColorBrewerBeta.html

Adam M. Carnow, AICP
Regional Manager, GIS
Vice President
WilsonMiller.com <http://www.wilsonmiller.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: C. Henry Depew [mailto:sisu26@nettally.com]
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 4:49 PM
To: Cross, Louis; shrug-l@lists.dep.state.fl.us
Subject: Re: shrug-l: Cartastrophies> Great article on Map Mistakes

Greetings!
      In addition to the site noted herein, there is a wonderful book on
the subject that you-all might find interesting.  An extract of
my review for a publication is noted below.

C. Henry Depew

At 04:27 PM 1/7/2005, Cross, Louis wrote:
>For those who don't receive GeoWorld
>(<http://www.geoplace.com>www.geoplace.com) this month's issue has a great
>article on Map Mistakes - Five Major Errors Unraveled by Susan Fowler.
>Some of the noted cartastrophies from the shrug conference resurface!
>
><http://www.geoplace.com/uploads/FeatureArticle/0501mm.asp>http://www.geopl
ace.com/uploads/FeatureArticle/0501mm.asp

      One of the most important maps in our early history was
the one used to set the borders of the new United States of
America.  The map included the works of others which showed two
islands in Lake Superior.  One of these islands was used as part
of the northern boundary.  Unfortunately, the island did not
exist.  Another item of interest to some is that the "New World"
was discovered by one person and named after another (whose
writings were published first to a wide audience) even though
neither were the "first" Europeans to make landfall.
      This book is a readable academic treatise on maps that
played a role in the development of the New World and the people
involved.

TITLE:         The Mismapping of America
AUTHOR:        Seymour I. Schwartz
PUBLISHER:     Univ. of Rochester Press
DATE:          2003