shrug-l: Trimble ProXRS VS Trimble GeoExplorer XT

Jonathan Jordan jdjordan@ifas.ufl.edu
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:38:37 -0400

--=====================_5361625==.ALT

Holli Brandt:

Having used both handheld (Garmin) and prec-ag (Trimble with multipath
reducer--a prec-ag unit typically has faster update than a pathfinder-type
unit, since it is meant for rolling-stock applications, but its output
cannot be post-processed) WAAS realtime-readout units simultaneously in
field, and comparing them to some benchmarks and also positions of suitable
(pavement corner) features on DOQQs (via pad/laptop mobile-map), my
impression (not a formal study as of yet) is that the overall performance
is frustratingly variable, but in a good situation (open unobstructed
field) a conservative figure of 2-3 m is about right (which is a bargain
considering that the service is free and nearly nationwide).  The problem
comes with "bad" situations, which are quite common along field edges and
roadsides -- typical FL regrowth/windbreak treelines located southwards
(where the WAAS signal is coming from relative to FL), and worst of all a
powerplant/powerline southwards; the handheld WAAS unit is crocked by both,
the prec-ag WAAS unit by just the latter.  I have not yet tested such
receivers in big-tree woods or down in ravines, but would expect to
encounter trouble at such sites also, based on reports by
others.  Buildings can also be obstacles for WAAS receivers; the denser and
taller the buildings, the worse the trouble, unless you are willing to do
"Harold Lloyd" rooftop stunts.

If you want to try to achieve code-based meter-level positions with
reasonable reliability, as Tripp Corbin posted, you will likely have to
find a base station cooperator and use realtime-readout with one of the
rover units designed for that, or switch to post-proc (esp. for
submeter).  But for powerline/ravine-crocked situations, you may still have
to rely on conventional survey tools, or perhaps a GPS+rangefinder system
from a vantage north of the powerline, or a mining-style relay.

Your plan to rent (or get a try-out period) a GPS system to gage its
performance under your own situations, before you make a purchase, is a
good one.  When you get to that point, please drop a line about the results
to shruglist.

Good hunting,

Jack Jordan
UF-IFAS-CRS

At 07:47 AM 10/19/2005, Tripp Corbin wrote:
>Holli,
>Based on my experience, which has not been with Trimble units, in order to
>get reliable sub-meter locations WAAS correction is not sufficient. I
>would only guarantee plus or minus 2 to 3 meters using WAAS alone. In
>order to get reliable sub-meter positions in the field without post
>processing, I use either Coast Guard beacons or Omnistar corrections.
>Otherwise post processing is required.
>
>I hope this helps.
>

>Tripp Corbin, MCP, GISP
>
>Associate Vice President, GIS/Mapping
>
>ESRI Authorized Instructor
>
>Keck & Wood, Inc.
>
><http://www.keckwood.com/>www.keckwood.com
>
>(678) 417-4013
>
>(678) 417-8785 fax
>

>Keck & Wood, Inc now offers Introduction to ArcGIS/ArcView training
>classes. Contact me for more information.
>Currently Scheduled Classes:
>Introduction to ArcGIS I - October 25-26 in Thomasville, GA (Class is
>sponsored by the <http://www.swgrdc.org/planning.htm>Southwest GA RDC GIS
>Dept.)
>
>Introduction to ArcGIS II - November 7, 9, & 10 at the
><http://shrug-gis.info/workshop05>SHRUG Workshop in Tallahassee, FL

--=====================_5361625==.ALT

Holli Brandt:<br><br>
Having used both handheld (Garmin) and prec-ag (Trimble with multipath
reducer--a prec-ag unit typically has faster update than a
pathfinder-type unit, since it is meant for rolling-stock applications,
but its output cannot be post-processed) WAAS realtime-readout units
simultaneously in field, and comparing them to some benchmarks and also
positions of suitable (pavement corner) features on DOQQs (via pad/laptop
mobile-map), my impression (not a formal study as of yet) is that the
overall performance is frustratingly variable, but in a good situation
(open unobstructed field) a conservative figure of 2-3 m is about right
(which is a bargain considering that the service is free and nearly
nationwide).&nbsp; The problem comes with &quot;bad&quot; situations,
which are quite common along field edges and roadsides -- typical FL
regrowth/windbreak treelines located southwards (where the WAAS signal is
coming from relative to FL), and worst of all a powerplant/powerline
southwards; the handheld WAAS unit is crocked by both, the prec-ag WAAS
unit by just the latter.&nbsp; I have not yet tested such receivers in
big-tree woods or down in ravines, but would expect to encounter trouble
at such sites also, based on reports by others.&nbsp; Buildings can also
be obstacles for WAAS receivers; the denser and taller the buildings, the
worse the trouble, unless you are willing to do &quot;Harold Lloyd&quot;
rooftop stunts.<br><br>
If you want to try to achieve code-based meter-level positions with
reasonable reliability, as Tripp Corbin posted, you will likely have to
find a base station cooperator and use realtime-readout with one of the
rover units designed for that, or switch to post-proc (esp. for
submeter).&nbsp; But for powerline/ravine-crocked situations, you may
still have to rely on conventional survey tools, or perhaps a
GPS+rangefinder system from a vantage north of the powerline, or a
mining-style relay.<br><br>
Your plan to rent (or get a try-out period) a GPS system to gage its
performance under your own situations, before you make a purchase, is a
good one.&nbsp; When you get to that point, please drop a line about the
results to shruglist.&nbsp; <br><br>
Good hunting, <br><br>
Jack Jordan<br>
UF-IFAS-CRS<br><br>
At 07:47 AM 10/19/2005, Tripp Corbin wrote:<br>
 color=3D"#0000FF">Holli,<br>
Based on my experience, which has not been with Trimble units, in order
to get reliable sub-meter locations WAAS correction is not sufficient. I
would only guarantee plus or minus 2 to 3 meters using WAAS alone. In
order to get reliable sub-meter positions in the field without post
processing, I use either Coast Guard beacons or Omnistar corrections.
Otherwise post processing is required. <br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br><br>
Tripp Corbin, MCP, GISP<br><br>
Associate Vice President, GIS/Mapping<br><br>
<i>ESRI Authorized Instructor<br>
</i><br>
<b>Keck &amp; Wood, Inc.<br>
</b><br>
 href=3D"http://www.keckwood.com/">www.keckwood.com</a><br>
&nbsp;<br><br>
<b>Keck &amp; Wood, Inc</b> now offers Introduction to ArcGIS/ArcView=
 training classes. Contact me for more information. <br>
Currently Scheduled Classes: <br>
Introduction to ArcGIS I - October 25-26 in Thomasville, GA (Class is=
 sponsored by the <a href=3D"http://www.swgrdc.org/planning.htm">Southwest=
Introduction to ArcGIS II - November 7, 9, &amp; 10 at the <a=
 href=3D"http://shrug-gis.info/workshop05">SHRUG Workshop</a> in=
 Tallahassee, FL=20
<dl>
<dd><font face=3D"tahoma" size=3D2>-----Original Message-----=20
<dd>From: shrug-l-admin@lists.dep.state.fl.us [<a=
 href=3D"mailto:shrug-l-admin@lists.dep.state.fl.us"=
 eudora=3D"autourl">mailto:shrug-l-admin@lists.dep.state.fl.us</a>] On=
 Behalf Of Holli Brandt=20
<dd>Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 7:50 AM=20
<dd>To: shrug-l@lists.dep.state.fl.us=20
 size=3D2 color=3D"#0000FF"> </font>Everyone -=20
<dd>Yes, I am still plugging the forum for information even though I have=
 moved.&nbsp; Still the best source for information and opinions.=20
<dd>&nbsp;=20
<dd><font face=3D"arial" size=3D2>We are going to be completing some field=
 work in the near future and are looking into renting a GPS Unit (trying it=
 out before we buy).&nbsp; For sub-meter accuracy, the following two units=
 were recommended time and time again, the Trimble ProXRS VS Trimble=
 GeoExplorer XT.&nbsp; I am aware of the basic differences between these two=
 units, ProXRS has external antennae and differential GPS and the GeoXT has=
 internal antennae and WAAS.&nbsp; I know which way I am leaning but would=
 like to hear what any of you have to say before I commit.</font>=20
<dd>&nbsp;=20
<dd><font face=3D"arial" size=3D2>Any personal opinions or criticisms about=
 these units?&nbsp; Which do you suggest?&nbsp; Any other GPS unit you=
 prefer?</font>=20
<dd>&nbsp;=20
<dd>&nbsp;=20
<dd>&nbsp;=20