shrug-l: ArcSDE 9.1 JPEG2000 Compression Solution

Adam Carnow AdamCarnow@WilsonMiller.com
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:54:03 -0400

FYI - a note from a colleague...

While they claim that 255 is the maximum usable value for image loading =
with JPEG2000, I've experienced that there seems to be a bug that =
prevents you from using any number actually higher than 229.

Adam M. Carnow, AICP
Corporate GIS Manager
Vice President
=20
TEL: 813-223-9500 x245
FAX: 813-223-0009
=20
WilsonMiller.com <http://www.wilsonmiller.com>=20
=20

-----Original Message-----
From: shrug-l-admin@lists.dep.state.fl.us
[mailto:shrug-l-admin@lists.dep.state.fl.us]
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 9:34 AM
To: shrug-l@lists.dep.state.fl.us
Subject: shrug-l: ArcSDE 9.1 JPEG2000 Compression Solution

The solution to the loading of images using JPEG2000 compression is that
the numeric value for JPEG2000 image quality appears to range from 5 to =
255
(unlike 5 to 95 for regular JPEG compression).  I was passing a value of =
90
thinking this would give a good result, but really needed to set image
quality much higher (say 170 or more) to get something adequate.  =
However,
the benefits (compression ratio) of JPEG2000 compression fall =
dramatically
as you increase image quality...

This distinction is not noted in the 9.1 documentation, but others have
experienced this problem.  Here is the link from ESRI user forums:

http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=3D2&f=3D1722&t=3D149376&mc=3D13

Mark