shrug-l: Found the problem with the hp750c

Tripp Corbin tcorbin at keckwood.com
Wed Feb 15 11:09:34 EST 2006

Ken,
The 750C is considered a very old model. It is getting harder to find
parts. If you can afford it, I would recommend upgrading to a newer
plotter. Not knowing your mechanical ability I can not say if you can
replace the belt. But I would recommend that you have a trained tech do
it because I am sure there are other adjustments that will need to be
made plus it could be more than just the belt. I would guess you are
looking at a repair bill of close to $300.00 or more based on my
experiences.

A new plotter such as an HP 500, which is about on par with the 750,
starts at about $2,100.00. Yes that is 7 times my estimated cost of
repair but you will have a new machine that is under warranty, prints at
a higher resolution (1,200x600), has larger inkwells, and prints faster.
Of course you may have to adjust the colors in your maps. Since this is
a new plotter built on later technology it will not print the same as
the 750. If your clients are like mine they hate it when their maps
change from what they are use to.

Tripp Corbin, MCP, GISP
Associate Vice President, GIS/Mapping
ESRI Authorized Instructor
Keck & Wood, Inc.
www.keckwood.com

Keck & Wood now offers both Instructor led and virtual training classes
for ESRI's ArcGIS & ArcView software. Contact me for more information.