shrug-l: Found the problem with the hp750c

Sykes, John John.Sykes at dep.state.fl.us
Wed Feb 15 11:10:28 EST 2006

Yes, I think you want to upgrade.  I'm not sure if you can find parts for the
750C anymore.  We needed a new print head and ended up surplussing the
plotter as "uneconomically repairable".

Since then, I've been looking at a 1055CM Plus or a 5500.  The 1055CM Plus is
a 36" wide plotter and has PostScript support (for about $8.7k).  The 5500 is
a 42" wide plotter, has more memory (and a hard drive) and costs less than
the 1055CM Plus, but does NOT have PostScript support (the 5500ps does).  I'm
leaning towards the 5500, but wonder if nearly $3 grand is worth it for the
PostScript support and 128 MB more memory in the 5500ps???  (The memory can
be added to the 5500 for about $150).

Another factor to consider is, which one is the newer model?  I think that
the 1055CM Plus is older, and may not be around that much longer (future
service issues?).  Of course the 4500 appears to be the newest series, but is
also more expensive.

Other comments greatly appreciated.

-- John