shrug-l: ArcPress Bug

WILLIAM.PORTER WILLIAM.PORTER at famu.edu
Thu Feb 16 17:00:40 EST 2006

Post script should be postscript to any machine.  I don't think HP adulterates it: they have their own language to work with. It's unlikley that ArcPress should send an incorrect page size.Buut you don't need to use ArcPress to create your postscript file:  You can load any driver you'd like and print to a file, then copy the file to the machine you have. I have several print drivers for printers not connected to my workstation.

Most problems with sizing come from the difference between page size and plot size. If the software allows you to do a WYSIWIG print preview then it is usually accurate.  I ran into a wild discrepancy with Layout vs. Print preview last week in Arc 9.1.   The print preview was right: I don't know my layout was so different.

There are at least three generations of PostScript. There may be more:  they breed like bunnies.  More correctly like slow bunnies with a long gestation period.  More like manatees, I guess; 30 months or so.

I had a black page when I tried to solve my problems with ArcPress, but I'm sure I'll figure that out.
Arcpress, if I understand it, is best at streaming data when the file is too large when it's rasterized to fit in plotter RAM.  It used to take 10X more space to rasterize a file than the print file size:  so a 3 MB HPGL file needed 30 MB RAM [or drive swap] to process it. . Since early plotters had little RAM, a streaming RTL file was the difference between a finished plot and a series "Memory overrun" errors.

William Porter
GIS Application Coordinator
Email:  william.porter at famu.edu <mailto:william.porter at famu.edu>
Florida A&M University