shrug-l: REQUEST for info on doing GIS with a tablet PC

Rocky S. Agbunag ragbunag at co.st-johns.fl.us
Thu Mar 2 15:13:43 EST 2006

Here at St. Johns County, I have a few crews using a few different
models of the Panasonic Toughbook along with a couple Trimble GPS units.
Our Fire and Rescue uses them as well.

We have some that are running ArcPad, ArcMap, and in the near future an
ArcEngine Application.  I would recommend to beef up the RAM to 1GB.
With it having only 60GB of hard drive space, you might consider getting
an external hard drive as well.  I have a couple staff that uses it as
their regular PC.  They dock in the office and they can use a regular
monitor, keyboard and mouse.  And I have a couple that just uses mainly
on the field and just dock it for charging, syncing to the network, and
a little basic office work.

They are pricy. But I'm looking into getting 5 more and I'm putting in 4
more for next years budget.

Good luck.  And let me know if you need more information.

-Rocky