shrug-l: Aerial Photography Question

David Crosby dcrosby at scgov.net
Fri Mar 24 12:33:59 EST 2006

Florida may not have a "leaf-off" season, but there are many trees that lose their leaves completely even in south Florida, and many that have much thinner canopies through the winter months.

To me the consideration is not only the leaf-off season (there are many good reasons to capture photography during the leaf-on season).  Cloud cover and humidity are big factors as well, as is predictability of the weather.  At least in FL you can count on many days being clear, bright, and cloud free in the winter.  Come April though, the weather is unpredictable.  Humidity can start building in the atmosphere making the imagery unclear.

Dave

>>> "Tripp Corbin" <tcorbin at keckwood.com> 03/24/06 10:37 AM >>>

It has been common practice here in Georgia that you do not fly aerial photography outside a very limited window of January to March. The reason given has been to minimize tree cover. Now I was driving through South Georgia this week and noticing that 80 to 90% of the trees are pines. I also noticed that by and large the hardwoods, those that are near structures, are either far enough away not to interfere or are below the roof lines. That would seem to negate the tree cover issue. Given that logic, are we, at least in South Georgia, limiting ourselves for no good reason? My thought is we are.

I was wondering what others, especially those involved in Photogrammetry and tax parcel mapping, might have to say on this issue. I was also wondering what is the norm in Florida given the lack of a leaf-off season.

Tripp Corbin, MCP, GISPAssociate Vice President, GIS/MappingESRI Authorized InstructorKeck & Wood, Inc.www.keckwood.com(678) 417-4013(678) 417-8785 fax Keck & Wood, Inc now offers both instructor led and virtual training for ArcGIS & ArcView. Contact me for more information.
Currently Scheduled Classes:
Introduction to ArcGIS I - April 17-18 at Keck & Wood in Duluth, GA
Introduction to ArcGIS I - May 8-9 at CADD Centers in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Introduction to ArcGIS II - April 19-21 at Keck & Wood in Duluth, GA
Introduction to ArcGIS II - May 10-12 at CADD Centers in Fort Lauderdale, FL