shrug-l: handheld GPS unit

Biernacki, Thomas Thomas.Biernacki at dep.state.fl.us
Tue Sep 5 11:48:27 EDT 2006

Hi Kristal,

I am not aware of any good GPS units with software costing less than $5,000
that will consistent achieve sub-meter accuracy.  I have seen folks piece
mill applications together to get something that cost less, but I've also saw
where a lot of time was spent trying to make these work-arounds work.

Trying not to endorse any manufactures, I have to say I have say most of my
experience is with the Trimble Geo series handhelds.  In my opinion, the
GeoXH would be the best bet if you need sub-meter accuracy and wanted to
purchase Trimble equipment.  However, this unit will cost somewhere around
$4,500 or so and then you would need the firmware and software to go with it.
So, this option may be out of your budget.

I am not very familiar with the other three brands you mentioned.  Maybe they
do very good work at a lower cost?

Tom