shrug-l: tool to delineate watershed?

Jay Johnson JohnsonJa at leoncountyfl.gov
Fri Sep 8 15:40:54 EDT 2006

Christine,
You will need Spatial Analyst at a minimum.  All the watershed tools
I've seen operate on raster data, so you will need a DEM for the area of
interest.

For the simpler case, (assuming we are talking ArcGIS) check out the
Spatial Analyst Toools Toolbox - there is a whole toolbox of Hydrology
Tools, including "Watershed", which should do what you need.

Depending on the scope and ultimate goals of your project ArcHydro may
or may not be appropriate.  If ALL you want to do is delineate flow to a
specific area, then ArcHydro is like using a sledgehammer to swat a fly.
 If, on the other hand, you want to build a supporting database as the
backbone of a larger project then ArcHydro is the tool of choice.

Good luck.

Jay Johnson
Leon County Public Works
Tallahassee/Leon County Interlocal GIS
(850) 606-1529

>>> "Christine Smith" <spinningyurt at hotmail.com> 09/08/06 3:19 PM >>>
Does anyone know of a tool/method to delineate a local watershed
(contributing to a single parcel)?  Or do I need Spatial Analyst or
ArcHydro?  I'm using Marion County lidar data (vector format).

Thank you and happy Friday,Christy