shrug-l: Combining Shapefiles

Sykes, John John.Sykes at dep.state.fl.us
Thu Feb 22 13:59:35 EST 2007

This is probably a no-brainer for most of you but . . .

I created 72 polygon shapefiles for all the Superfund sites in Florida.
Rather than deal with 72 layers, I would like to create a new layer with each
of the 72 shapefiles as a record in the final attribute table.  Then I can
join the resulting table with a Superfund database to "fill in" the remaining
important information.  Since most of the 72 layers were created by
dissolving multiple parcels into the site polygon, they all have the same
basic attributes table now, just the FID, Shape and ID fields, all blank.  It
would probably be a good idea to add a field for the site name or ID number,
but I don't know if this is best accomplished before or after creating the
combined table.  I will also probably add perimeter, area and centroid data
to the tables after combining them all (that I know how to do).

-- John