shrug-l: Combining Shapefiles

Miles.Carter at dot.state.fl.us Miles.Carter at dot.state.fl.us
Thu Feb 22 14:26:12 EST 2007

ArcToolBox, Merge, see the ArcGIS help for instructions.

Miles Carter
GIS Applications Analyst
Florida Department of Transportation
Transportation Statistics Office
(850) 414-4723
FAX: 850-414-4878

             "Sykes, John"
             <John.Sykes at dep.s
             tate.fl.us>                                                To
             Sent by:                  <shrug-L at lists.dep.state.fl.us>
             shrug-l-bounces at l                                          cc
             ists.dep.state.fl
             .us                                                   Subject
                                       shrug-l: Combining Shapefiles

             02/22/2007 01:59
             PM

This is probably a no-brainer for most of you but . . .

I created 72 polygon shapefiles for all the Superfund sites in Florida.
Rather than deal with 72 layers, I would like to create a new layer with
each of the 72 shapefiles as a record in the final attribute table.  Then I
can join the resulting table with a Superfund database to "fill in" the
remaining important information.  Since most of the 72 layers were created
by dissolving multiple parcels into the site polygon, they all have the
same basic attributes table now, just the FID, Shape and ID fields, all
blank.  It would probably be a good idea to add a field for the site name
or ID number, but I don't know if this is best accomplished before or after
creating the combined table.  I will also probably add perimeter, area and
centroid data to the tables after combining them all (that I know how to
do).

SHRUG-L mailing list
SHRUG-L at lists.dep.state.fl.us