shrug-l: freezing re-draws

Tim Spivey tspivey at tiftcounty.org
Wed Jul 25 16:25:05 EDT 2007

>From Rupert Essinger
ESRI Redlands
To prevent the map from redrawing while you make changes to it you can
turn on 'draft mode' (called 'fast-drawing mode' in ArcMap 8.x) while
you work in Layout view. (This mode does not apply to Data View).

In ArcMap 8.x. you turn on fast drawing mode for a data frame or any
other map element on a map layout by opening the element's Properties
dialog and going to the Frame tab.

In ArcMap 9.0 and 9.1 turning this mode on for the selected map
element(s) is easier because a button to toggle draft mode on and off
can be found in the Layout toolbar. In Layout view, select the data
frames that you want to be in draft mode then press that button.

The contents of a map element are not redrawn while it is in draft mode.

In addition, you may find the Pause Drawing command added at 9.0 useful:

- If you are using ArcMap 9.0, there's a command called Pause Drawing
you can add into any ArcMap toolbar or pulldown menu. This lets you turn
off the redraw while you make any changes to the map, symbology, drawing
order, etc. To add this command, go to the Tools>Customize dialog, click
the Commands tab, look in the Pan/Zoom category, and then drag the
command where you want it.

- If you are using ArcMap 9.1, you'll find the Pause Drawing command in
the horizontal scroll bar just below your map, so no need to go to
Tools>Customize to add it into a menu or toolbar. The keyboard shortcut
for Pause is F9. If pressing that key doesn't do anything, it is because
the Table Of Contents has 'keyboard focus'. Press ESC to put keyboard
focus back onto the map and then press F9 again.

Tim Spivey
Tift County