shrug-l: GISP - Credit for posting on forums, lists or groups

Tripp Corbin tcorbin at keckwood.com
Thu Jul 26 15:39:30 EDT 2007

As many of you may know the GISCI is looking at revamping the
requirements and method for earning the GISP certification and
maintaining it. As right now it is a points based system that requires
points in three areas, Education, Experience and Professional
Contributions. I have asked the GISCI how does one count helping others
via forums, email list and or news groups. This would certainly seem to
be a professional contribution. I know I spend quite a bit of time
answering questions on many different forums and list pro-bono as do
many others. This list is a perfect example of that. Providing pro-bono
services for the community and welfare of the profession is one of the
cornerstones of being regard as a true profession and not just a trade.

Scott Grams, the Executive Director of the GISCI, agrees and has asked
be to come up with a plan to allow folks to claim some credit for
posting on the various GIS related groups. I would like to get y'alls
input as well. I have come up with two ways to claim credit for points.
Keep in mind these are very preliminary.

Method 1
Give some 1 point toward professional contributions for each 10 post
that the person makes on a forum, list or group each year. These post
would have to have to provide some level of professional growth such as
answering a question, provide information about new technology or
solutions, or provide some other benefit to the community. They should
not be commercially driven. Asking how to questions should not be
counted either.

Method 2
The onus is put on the person who received the help. If someone receives
help from a GISP, they could fill out a short form/letter (template
given to them by the GISP and available on the GISCI website) about how
it helped. Then we could simply count up the forms and award points (0.1
points per letter).

Tripp Corbin, MCP, CFM, GISP

Associate Vice President, GIS/Mapping

ESRI Authorized Instructor

Keck & Wood, Inc.

 <http://www.keckwood.com/> www.keckwood.com

(678) 417-4013

(678) 417-8785 fax

Keck & Wood, Inc offers instructor led and virtual training for ESRI's
ArcGIS & ArcView software.
Please visit  <http://www.keckwood.com/> www.keckwood.com for more
information including a schedule of upcoming classes.