shrug-l: Get on the Grid - the US National Grid!

Richard.Butgereit at em.myflorida.com Richard.Butgereit at em.myflorida.com
Wed Jun 27 09:44:08 EDT 2007

The US National Grid is an emerging standard grid for emergency
operations. More information is available by visiting
http://www.floridadisaster.org/gis/USNG. Particulary, you may want to
check out the presentation "USNG in Florida" available at
http://www.floridadisaster.org/gis/USNG/Documents/usng.ppt for an overview
of why this tool is being added to the GIS toolbox.

But the reason for the message today is to announce -- courtesy of the
University of Florida's GeoPlan Center, USNG data for all of Florida is
now available for download at the Florida Geographic Data Library.

You may visit http://www.fgdl.org, click on FGDL Metadata Explorer, enter
"usng" under the keyword search, click Start Search, and select the grid
size and appropriate UTM zone for your area of interest...a big thank
you!!! goes out to GeoPlan for making this data available!

Or visit ftp://ftp1.fgdl.org, where statewide 100,000m and 10,000 grids
are available at ftp://ftp1.fgdl.org/pub/state. and 100m and 1K grids are
available by county within each county's core directory -- for example --
ftp://ftp1.fgdl.org/pub/county/alachua/alachua_core.

Reminder -- the UTM 16/17 junction runs down Jefferson county, so counties
west are in UTM 16 and counties east are in UTM 17 (and by the way, we are
still working on Jefferson county due to this challenge!).

We hope to have some websites up and running soon to zoom to and/or
identify USNG coordinates...details to follow.

Thanks,
Richard Butgereit
GIS Administrator, Florida DEM
richard.butgereit at em.myflorida.com