shrug-l: Shapefiles which do not auto correct

Tripp Corbin tcorbin at keckwood.com
Mon Mar 26 15:02:09 EDT 2007

Chris,
First, if the data is in NAD 27 and a prj file does not exist, you need
to create one in ArcCatalog in order to reproject it to UTM 17. You use
the Define projection tool in ArcToolbox to do that. Of course you will
need to know more than just the datum. You will need to know the
coordinate system as well. Is it state plane, UTM, or something else? If
in doubt, open ArcMap and set the data frame to the projection you
believe the shapefile to be in. Then add your UTM 17 road data. If they
match up then good. If not try again with a different projection. This
is why I stress to students to learn the normal values for the most
commonly used projections in your area. It will allow you to easily pick
out what coordinate system was used to create the data even if there is
no prj file.

Once you have gotten the shapefile to match as close as you can, then
you will use the spatial adjust toolbar. This toolbar allows you to
transform and rubber sheet vector data. In 9.1 and earlier this included
shapefiles, feature classes and CAD data. In 9.2, it does not include
CAD.

Tripp Corbin, MCP, CFM, GISP
Associate Vice President, GIS/Mapping
ESRI Authorized Instructor
Keck & Wood, Inc.
www.keckwood.com

Keck & Wood, Inc offers instructor led and virtual training for ESRI's
ArcGIS & ArcView software.
Please visit www.keckwood.com for more information including a schedule
of upcoming classes.