shrug-l: UNA Offers Introduction to ArcGIS I & II in Florence, AL! Registration Deadline: August 8!

Tripp Corbin tcorbin at keckwood.com
Wed Aug 6 10:44:17 EDT 2008

Registration is underway for UNA's ArcGIS I and II courses.  You can
register online at www.una.edu/conted (select GIS Certificate Program),
or contact our office at 256-765-4862 to register by phone.  We accept
all major credit and debit cards. Please share this email with others
who may be interested.  Register by Friday August 8 to ensure a spot in
this class.  Space is limited to 14 participants.

Introduction to ArcGIS I
Course Number:  08-AGISA
August 18 - 19, 2008
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
UNA East Campus, 1640 Tune Ave., Florence, AL
Instructor:  Tripp Corbin

COURSE OVERVIEW
This two-day course introduces participants to ArcGIS(tm) and provides
the foundation for becoming a successful user. Participants learn how to
use ArcMap(tm), ArcCatalog(tm), and ArcToolbox(tm) and explore how these
applications work together to provide a complete GIS software solution.
The course covers fundamental GIS concepts as well as how to create,
edit, and work with georeferenced spatial data. Participants learn how
to manipulate tabular data, query a GIS database, and present data
clearly and efficiently using maps and charts.

COST
The registration fee is $1049 per student and includes a continental
breakfast, refreshment breaks, lunch, and a certificate of attendance.
Discounts are available if bundled with the Introduction to ArcGIS II
class. Payment or purchase order must be received prior to the start of
class. Any cancellations must be made one week in advance of the class
to receive a refund.

TARGET AUDIENCE
This course is for those who are new to ArcGIS or to geographic
information systems in general.

COURSE GOALS
1. Display feature and tabular data
2. Work with georeferenced spatial data
3. Query features using logical expressions
4. Find features using spatial relationships
5. Edit spatial and attribute data
6. Associate tables with joins and relates
7. Produce maps, reports, and graphs

TOPICS COVERED
--ArcGIS overview: Capabilities and applications; Interacting with the
interface; Basic display
--Spatial data concepts: Representing spatial data and descriptive
information
--ArcGIS data model: Geodatabases; Shapefiles; Coverages; Feature types;
Attributes
--GIS software: Components; Functions; Applications
--Spatial coordinate systems and map projections: Georeferencing data;
What map projections are and how ArcMap works with map projections
--Querying data: Selecting and identifying features; Creating reports
and graphs
--Map displays: Creating; Symbolizing; Scaling; Adding map elements

PREREQUISITES AND RECOMMENDATIONS
Participants should know how to use Microsoft Windows and have some
understanding of databases or spreadsheets.
___

Introduction to ArcGIS II
Course Number:  08-AGISB
August 20 - 22, 2008
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
UNA East Campus, 1640 Tune Ave., Florence, AL
Instructor:  Tripp Corbin

COURSE OVERVIEW
This three-day course extends what students learned in Introduction to
ArcGIS I with further exploration of ArcMap and ArcCatalog. The course
focuses on spatial analysis, automation of spatial and attribute data,
editing, and advanced options for cartographic display. A portion of the
class is reserved for carrying out an analysis project and applying many
of the new skills and techniques learned in this course. Participants
conduct queries, perform spatial analysis, and present their results in
a hard-copy map.

COST
The fee for regularly scheduled classes is $1,349 per student. Discounts
are available if bundled with the Introduction to ArcGIS I class.
Payment or purchase order must be received prior to the start of class.
Any cancellations must be made one week in advance of the class to
receive a refund.

TARGET AUDIENCE
This course is designed as the next step after the Introduction to
ArcGIS I class. It is for those with fundamental knowledge of ArcGIS and
geographic information systems in general.

COURSE GOALS
1. Perform spatial analysis
2. Manage geographic data
3. Perform geocoding
4. Automate data through heads-up digitizing
5. Convert data from other formats
6. Edit spatial and attribute data
7. Create and use metadata
8. Produce high-quality maps and reports

TOPICS COVERED
--Spatial analysis and data management: Buffers; Spatial overlays;
Extracting features for analysis; Analytical methods and tools
--Geocoding and display of locations from tabular data: Address
geocoding; Display of points from x,y coordinates
--Editing: Tools for creating and editing spatial data; Editing
attribute data; Spatial adjustment
--Data automation: Data sources; Digitizing; Data conversion
--Project management: Database organization; File and directory naming
conventions; Creating and using metadata
--Geoprocessing: Introduction to the Command Line window and the
ModelBuilder interface
--Cartography: Advanced symbology and labeling

PREREQUISITES AND RECOMMENDATIONS
This course is for those who have completed Introduction to ArcGIS I. If
the prerequisite course is not completed, a participant should have
comparable experience with ArcGIS before taking this course. The course
also provides participants with the fundamental ArcGIS knowledge and
experience needed to enroll in Building Geodatabases I.

About the Instructor:
These classes are taught by Tripp Corbin, a GIS Certified Professional
and an ESRI Authorized Instructor. Tripp has over 16 years of experience
in GIS and Mapping. During those 16 years, he has worked in many aspects
of GIS from field data collection and data creation to project
management and client support. Tripp is familiar with many of the most
common GIS and mapping software packages including ArcGIS, ArcView GIS,
ArcInfo(r), ArcIMS(r), AutoCAD(r), Autodesk Map(r), MapGuide(r), and
Microstation(r).

Please let us know if you wish to be removed from our email distribution
list.

Meghan Fike
Program Coordinator
Continuing Studies & Outreach