shrug-l: State of Florida Response to NSGIC State Summary

Butgereit, Richard Richard.Butgereit at em.myflorida.com
Fri Oct 10 14:40:31 EDT 2008

It is that time of year again - when we make an effort to share some of
what we are doing with the nation by participating in the National
States Geographic Information Council's state summary. Actually, I am a
month late with this...the deadline for this year's survey came up
during the activation for the storms, and I am just now getting back to
it. However, I have confirmed with NSGIC that there is still time for us
to coordinate and provide information for the 2008 survey.

For those who are unfamiliar with the background on this - you may
review the following...

- http://www.gisinventory.net/summaries

- http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/pipermail/shrug-l/2004-June/000361.html

-
http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/pipermail/shrug-l/attachments/20070913/618a
d93f/attachment.html (sorry about the format of that page, but I guess
my original post got scrubbed because I included an attachement?)

I have placed a draft state summary response, including notes on what
was submitted last year, what I am proposing this year, and some
specific requests for assistance available at -

-
http://floridadisaster.org/gis/capgrant/documents/2008_nsgic_state_summa
ry_response.doc

If you would care to take a look at it and let me know what you think,
please do so. BUT - please bear in mind these caveats for this survey...

*	This isn't the end-all, be-all of the state of GIS in the state,
but it is a worthwhile tool
(http://apb.directionsmag.com/archives/4856-Floridas-Efforts-at-Statewid
e-GIS-Coordination.html)
*	Parts of the survey are challenging, as they pre-suppose the
existence of a GIS council. Let's not focus on those parts but focus on
the parts where we have an opportunity to tell the nation about some of
the great projects and efforts going on in this state
*	If things are too Tallahassee, FDEM, and/or Emergency
Management-centric, hey, forgive me, that's what I do and know about -
please tell me about some of things outside of my world that I don't
know about! That's why I am asking for your help!

If you have any feedback, I need it by next Tuesday, October 14, as I
really need to get the survey submitted by the end of next week.

Thanks,
Richard Butgereit
GIS Administrator

Florida Division of Emergency Management

richard.butgereit at em.myflorida.com

Office: 850-413-9907
www.FloridaDisaster.org <http://www.floridadisaster.org/>

Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.