shrug-l: Geodatabase to CAD

Tripp Corbin tcorbin at keckwood.com
Fri Apr 24 08:07:07 EDT 2009

Jim,

There are several ways to convert a Geodatabase to a CAD file. The
problem is getting the attribute data across ESRI to CAD. CAD has three
basic ways to store attributes and only two of which ESRI can convert
too. The first is using layer names in the drawing as a way to store
data. For example you might name a waterline layer with the size and
material of the waterlines in the layer. The Second way is using block
attributes. Blocks are custom point symbols that can have attribute
values attached. The last way is using Object Data. This is the one ESRI
cannot export or import. It is stored in a proprietary part of the DWG
file.

File size is also an issue. CAD does not handle large files well at all.
I would strongly urge you to take some CAD classes or at least work with
CAD so you can get a better understanding of how CAD and DWGs work
before you attempt any large conversion.

If your other Department is primarily using Map 3D or Civil 3D there may
not be any need to convert. These higher versions of CAD can connect
directly to a Geodatabase using and FDO connector without the need to
convert. The CAD user can then take what he needs from the GIS data.

If you really do need to convert a large Geodatabase to DWGs on a
regular basis, I would suggest looking at Safe Software's FME products.
This is what the ESRI Data Interoperability extension is built on.
(Which might also be an option) It is very robust and allows you to
build conversion models similar to ESRI's model builder. These models
can be run again and again as needed or run on a regular schedule.

Anyway we bounce back and forth between CAD and GIS all the time so let
me if we can help you out.

Tripp Corbin, MCP, CFM, GISP
Vice President, GIS/IT
ESRI Authorized Instructor