shrug-l: RE: Master's degree

Peterson, Lance lance.peterson at dot.state.fl.us
Mon Aug 10 11:36:54 EDT 2009

If you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree program that will require a master's project and thesis then I offer the following advice.

I have looked into graduate programs in GIS in the past and recommend that you first consider what type of GIS work you want to do. Then look for quality universities with programs that offer GIS either as a degree or as a specialization. I recommend this since the focus of GIS in a Civil Engineering department will be much different than that in a Geography, Computer Science, or Urban and Regional Planning department.

Many universities now offer either graduate programs specifically in GIS or with specialization or concentration in GIS. For example, it looks like New Mexico State's Geography department has a GIS program while Harvard has a GIS focus in their School of Design (Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Urban Design and Urban Planning). I have friends and colleagues from the University of Florida that have completed GIS master's degree work in Civil Engineering, Architecture and Building Construction, and Ecology. So, you can choose from many excellent public schools or go to a top tier Ivy League school.

Also, the University of Redlands has a MS degree specifically in GIS. And we all know what company will be closely linked to that program :).

Based on my experience in 2 master's degree programs, I feel one of the most important considerations is to find a university with a department that is currently doing work in something that interests you. Then contact professors in the departments doing those projects and see if they have an opening for another graduate student. This is going to be somewhat like applying for a job. Doing this can help unsure that you will be working on a project that interests both you and your major professor. Otherwise, you will be unhappy with the work you are doing and the professors will be un-interested in you. And you really want your major professor to be interested in your project for you to get the most out of graduate school.

If you are interested in just doing coursework for a graduate degree, then I recommend the Penn State on-line program that Tripp Corbin mentioned. Keep in mind thought, that if you ever want to get a Ph.D., you will need at least one master's degree that required a project and thesis

Lance Peterson
Programmer/Analyst - Peterson Consulting
Business Systems Support Office
Office of Information Systems
Florida Department of Transportation
' 850-410-5545