shrug-l: Working with two different extents

April Herrett htstech at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 13 12:35:24 EDT 2009

Tripp,

Although I've muddled through with doing some extra study, and am
feeling more comfortable with the processes, I think that Coordinate
Systems, Projections, Datums, GCS has been the most misunderstood
fundamental concept of learning GIS for most people I've been around.

Many times I find terms used interchangeably even at professional
levels.

I suppose for most of you that have mastered the field it's all become
second nature.    The subject well worth extra study time for some of us
greenhorns.

www.fgdl.org/tutorials/howto_reproject/MapProjectionBasics.html   ...

Wow, my vote is this subject for a URISA one-day workshop or lunch and
learn .  might help keep some of us straightened out..

Thanks,
April Herrett
GIS Student