shrug-l: Creating a Locator Frame in ArcGIS 10 if you use data driven pages

Tripp Corbin tcorbin at keckwood.com
Mon Nov 29 14:29:46 EST 2010

I like many of you have used the old DS Mapbooklet Plotting sample code
for many years. It has been a wonderful tool and one I cannot do
without. ArcGIS 10 introduced Data Driven Pages which basically
incorporated much of the DS Mapbook code directly into the core ArcGIS
Desktop products.  The one thing that has been driving me crazy is how
to reproduce the local Map Locator that DS Mapbook had. I found the
following steps on the ArcGIS Forums today posted by David B from Esri.

Create a Map Locator Frame

You can do this with the data frame extent options. In 10.0 there are
new options that allow you to drive the extent of one data frame based
on the extent of another data frame.

To make a locator map that automatically adjusts as you page through
your map series try this:

1. Go to the properties dialog for your locator data frame and select
the Data Frame tab.

2. In the Extent section at the top select "Other Data Frame" from the
dropdown.

3. Now you should see options to "Derive the extent from another data
frame's extent". Make sure the DDP data frame is selected in this
dropdown (it might show a different data frame selected by default if
you have more data frames in your map).

4. Set the margin options if you want a consistent margin, or select
"Zoom to features that intersect the other data frame's extent" if you
want to make sure surrounding features show. The latter is useful if you
index layer is a rectangular grid, for example.

Here is the link to the original source I found this on:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/16422-Map-Locator-with-DD-Map-Book

Hopefully many will find this as helpful as I have.

Tripp Corbin, MCP, CFM, GISP
Vice President, GIS/IT
ESRI Authorized Instructor
CompTIA Certified Technical Trainer
Keck & Wood, Inc. <http://www.keckwood.com/>
(678) 417-4013
(678) 417-4055 fax

ESRI Business Partner <http://www.esri.com/>

Adapx Premier Capturx Digital Pen Reseller
<http://www.keckwood.com/186654.ihtml#capturxarcgis>

DocSTAR Strategic Partner <http://www.docstar.com/keckwood>

Click here to sign up for our Email Newsletter
<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?m=1101787355057&p=oi>