shrug-l: ArcGIS Alternative

DeAndrae Spradley dredale7 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 08:46:06 EDT 2011

DeAndrae Spradley
Sent from iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Hall, Melissa" <Melissa.Hall at em.myflorida.com>
Date: April 5, 2011 8:43:17 AM EDT
To: "DeAndrae Spradley" <dredale7 at yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: shrug-l: ArcGIS Alternative

I used MapInfo a few years back when I started with Food Lion.  It did not have the same analytical abilities then, but I haven’t kept up on it.

We did end up switching to ESRI.  In the end the costs were close, but the deciding factor was infrastructure.  As others have said, people learn ESRI and it what most people know in the US and all the local universities have ESRI based GIS programs.  I am not sure how you capture that cost, but it was compelling when I was working with another system.  It took me 6 months to learn and hiring anyone else was hard because they would be losing a skill set.

The other big concern from management was that we were going to end up with a program that would be very hard to support long term.  While it is great job security to work on a non-mainstream GIS most of the options you have to increase the force on a project, like consultants and contract/temp workers go away.  It makes your current staff a absolute bottleneck

The commercial options are pretty bad, if you need a real alternative I would look to open source.  Some of the disadvantages of alternative commercial software are offset by people who believe in the FOSS culture.

Of the FOSS options GRASS is the oldest and best developed, I can’t remember which program it is, but I think there is one university that teaches it.  I like FMaps and it is coming along, but it probably will not have the functionality you need if you have ArcInfo type analysis needs, making GRASS the only possible option.

The automation tools will just not be the same, FOSS systems tend to do customization through programming, so if you do have C programming in house be sure to include that in the budget.

Melissa Hall

GIS Tech

Florida Division of Emergancy Management

Melissa.Hall at EM.MyFlorida.com

(850) 413-9905

www.floridadisaster.org