shrug-l: ArcGIS Alternative

Porter, William B. william.porter at famu.edu
Tue Apr 5 09:57:27 EDT 2011

Part of the Cost-Benefit analysis should include technical support:  How
complete is it from the software maker and what user groups exist that
offer support.

GIS has a steep learning curve.  The most successful programs have at
least a small team of people using the same software, cooperating and
sharing technical skill.

I started digital mapping in  1986 in what was then the Dept. of Natural
Resources.  I used AutoCAD because Jody Miller in State Lands and Tom
Watters in Beaches and Shores used it.  They were the gods of mapping
[and surveying] so I followed their lead.   We shared tech innovations,
tools and toys.  When I moved to ArcInfo in 1991 the Manatee program was
a step-child of the Marine Lab in St. Pete.  They used ArcInfo under
Unix - so I did too.  I discovered true deities of GIS in Tallahassee -
Linc Clay and Stan Hammer - also used ArcInfo under Unix.  They pretty
much insured my survival during the learning curve.

The best software in the world is worthless unless you know a team of
experts willing to help you.  A GIS person starting out alone with only
tech support from the 'factory' has a tough row to hoe [don't get to use
that expression much].  Taking Unix out of the learning  curve helps and
a point and click object oriented interface helps - but you still have
to learn GIS logic and theory.  Only a masochist would start out with
orphan software to prove how tough he or she is.

When I start in any discipline I try to steal from the best:   go with
software that the most successful and helpful GIS shop near you uses.
If your County has a MapInfo shop and a support group  eager to help
[like SHRUG is for ESRI users] then MapInfo may be the way to go.  If
you're near a college that supports GRASS or other free open-source
software, use that and hope they stay with it.  If you can tie into an
educational system the cost of ESRI software drops 90%.  It is amazing:
I can buy ArcPAD for $75 because I have an EDU mailing address.

I used SAS because I learned it at the Marine Lab in St. Pete.  After
moving to TLH I learned DNR had John Orndorf, a recalcitrant,
curmudgeonly SAS genius.

One co-worker tried to undercut SAS with a low-rent rip-off, BASS.   It
was as embarrassing as it sounds.  After 6 weeks of testing and buying a
subscription,  he learned that it could not read more than 10,000 lines
of data.  In the end I negotiated an agency-wide subscription to PC SAS
covering DNR in TLH and the Marine Lab in St. Pete.,  wresting it from
the mainframe and 3270 terminals . It was far cheaper than BASS per
user.

That's another consideration:   the per-use fee drops on most software
when used in an agency.   Not all software uses scalable licensing.

William  B. Porter     william.porter at famu.edu                412 5972

Application Coordinator for GIS / Infrastructure

Florida A&M University

EIT / GIS

1601 S. M L King

Suite 303