shrug-l: New under water ships down under

Porter, William B. william.porter at famu.edu
Thu Feb 2 09:10:10 EST 2012

A private contractor wanted to do a Smart Phone App for FAMU for a  fee.  Because Google had photographed the campus

more recently than the TLH/Leon City/County GIS had, I bowed to pressure and said, “Sure, use the Google stuff, but accept the limitations.”

[I did not alter these images:   they will look the same if you go to Google Maps and search for Florida A&M, 32307].

Buildings are skewed oddly, all were taken obliquely from the South. Where images are sewn together, wild things happen.

I can’t explain the distortion on this building.  The aspect ratio has been altered unevenly; It’s no longer a square on a rectangle.

The oblique angle distorted this building and made the sidewalks look as if they were shifted in an Earthquake.

There is a  difference between professional ortho oblique photography and loose “pretty good”  imagery.   I understand why Google can’t demand scientific quality – but making non-professionals see the limits is not easy.  I can’t make measurements from this image.

William   Porter     william.porter at famu.edu     850 412 5972

Application Coordinator for GIS / Infrastructure

Florida A&M University

EIT / GIS

Perry-Paige, West Wing Ground floor,

Office 1 -D