shrug-l: Elevation Unit Reference for NAVD88

Thomas, Jim jim_thomas at golder.com
Tue Jul 10 08:50:10 EDT 2012

I all,

I have a survey question related to elevation units.  Since NAVD88 ZERO and MSL Zero are not necessarily the same, is it wrong to express elevation units that reference NAVD88 as 'FT AMSL'?  Or is 'ft' more appropriate?

I've seen data stored this way and I would like to suggest the appropriate unit.

Thanks!

Jim Thomas, GISP | GIS Analyst | Golder Associates Inc.
9428 Baymeadows Road, Suite 400, Jacksonville, Florida, USA 32256
T: +1 (904) 363-3430 | F: +1 (904) 363-3445 | E: jim_thomas at golder.com<mailto:jim_thomas at golder.com> | www.golder.com<http://www.golder.com/>

Work Safe, Home Safe

This email transmission is confidential and may contain proprietary information for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. Any use, distribution or copying of this transmission, other than by the intended recipient, is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete all copies. Electronic media is susceptible to unauthorized modification, deterioration, and incompatibility. Accordingly, the electronic media version of any work product may not be relied upon.