shrug-l: RE: Elevation Unit Reference for NAVD88

Sykes, John John.Sykes at dep.state.fl.us
Tue Jul 10 09:25:19 EDT 2012

Jim:

NAVD88 is a datum.  Elevations in NAVD88 relate to the NAD83 ellipsoid and has little relationship to local sea level.  Therefore, "xx.xx ft (NAVD88)" would be the proper citation.

I believe that elevations relating to local sea level would be listed as "xx.xx ft( AMSL)"  which would refer to a local benchmark that has been surveyed to the local sea level.  NOAA costal charts list the various sea level datums for a specific location, and the survey data is referenced to it.  I might be wrong on the second point, it has been several years since I had to work with sea level data.

Again, someone feel free to jump in on this, it has been a long time since I worked with sea level data (1999 in the Florida Keys).

-- John

Please take a few minutes to share your comments on the service you received from the department by clicking on this link DEP Customer Survey<http://survey.dep.state.fl.us/?refemail=John.Sykes@dep.state.fl.us>.