shrug-l: Esri's new ArcGIS Pro

Tripp Corbin tcorbin at egisassociates.com
Wed Jun 4 19:57:32 EDT 2014

Many of you that went to the UC or other Esri conferences may have seen the
newest application to be released by Esri, ArcGIS Pro. I have been beta
testing the new application and thought I might share some quick insights
regarding it.

For those that have been around long enough to remember ArcView GIS, I think
you will like ArcGIS Pro. My initial testing has shown many similarities
between the old ArcView GIS and the new ArcGIS Pro. In many ways, ArcGIS Pro
seems like an updated version of ArcView GIS.

Like the old ArcView GIS, ArcGIS Pro makes use of projects. An ArcGIS Pro
project can include many things such as multiple maps (What we called views
in ArcView GIS), layouts, data connections, and more. So you can use ArcGIS
Pro to help manage all things GIS associated with a project or organization.
At least that seems to be the theory. I have not really tested to see if
there is an upper limit on the size and amount a single project can hold.

In addition to Maps and Layouts, an ArcGIS Pro project can also include
ArcScene and ArcGlobe files with in a project plus City Engine files. This
further expands the ability to access data, views and files from a single
interface without having to bounce back and forth between multiple
applications.

The ability to open multiple tables in individual windows is also back in
ArcGIS Pro. For us old time users, this functionality has been missed since
Esri went to the single table window in ArcGIS for Desktop. Being able to
move and position each table individually greatly increases the flexibility
of the application.

ArcGIS Pro does make use of the ribbon interface format that most modern
applications now have. For those us accustom to the tradition ArcGIS
interface, this will take some getting used to. Those new users coming out
of college or maybe transitioning from AutoCAD to ArcGIS will be able to
take to it quickly. It has taken me a while to get used to it and to find
all the tools I normally use in ArcMap or ArcCatalog but they are there.
Like ArcGIS for Desktop, the functionality of ArcGIS Pro is controlled by
the license level you have available. For now, Esri plans to have ArcGIS Pro
run in tandem with ArcGIS for Desktop. They will use the same license.

So my initial thought is that ArcGIS Pro is really an evolution of the old
ArcView GIS many of us knew and loved. That will be good news for many of us
that remember all the things we could do in ArcView that we could not when
we transitioned to ArcGIS. I believe Esri is on the right track with this
new product. As I continue to test and play with it, I will share more of my
findings.

 <mailto:tcorbin at egisassociates.com> tcorbin at egisassociates.com |
www.egisassociates.com

678-710-9710 ext 21 | 866-304-3864 Fax

Esri Certified Trainer | Esri Certified Desktop Associate | Esri Certified
Enterprise System Design Associate