shrug-l: RE: Lat/Long Tool

Sykes, John John.Sykes at dep.state.fl.us
Thu Jun 12 09:45:24 EDT 2014

The idea is eliminating error from calculations.  The "standard" precision for fixed geographical locations in the USGS Bluebook is DMS with 5 decimal places.  In Florida, that is roughly 1mm.  This tool shows DMS to 6 decimal places.  I have used it to check the accuracy of plotted data and it is accurate to that level of precision plus a protection digit.  I don't think any of us using it believe the 13 decimal places in the DD readout.  My calculator will only take 9.  But if you take that 9 decimal places DD result and convert it to DMS, you get the 5 decimal place precision that the USGS uses in the Bluebook.

I've used the tool several times to check the plotted location of a CORS station or a USGS monument in ArcGIS and it is dead on, if you zoom in tight enough.  In actuality, though, I think that Julie (who wrote it) just didn't bother to round the floating point numbers to any given precision, but left it up to the user.

By the way, there is talk that with the new high-accuracy atomic clocks (1000 times more precise than current ones), that GPS may eventually be eclipsed by a system that will tell you where you are anywhere on the face of the earth, without any external reference.  Right now, good GPS survey data will get you to about 1 cm horizontal and 2 cm vertical accuracy in Florida with an hour of data acquisition, this new system could give you mm accuracy in both dimensions with virtually instantaneous data (ok, maybe 1 second).  It would make self-driving cars and auto-landing aircraft routine.

But getting back to the subject, I think the major advantage is that it eliminates one source of error almost completely.  You can then concentrate on the other errors of the various layers in your map.

-- John