shrug-l: XML and GPX files

Porter, William B. william.porter at famu.edu
Fri Apr 10 10:42:48 EDT 2015

Brian Pierce,  the past GIS administrator at DACS who suffered a stroke - asked if I can cut a GPX or XML file into segments to load back into his Garmin ETrex.   The entire file is too large.

I have Google Earth and Topographix (demo) on my PC. I can bring up the  tracks and in topographix I can get an ID of tracks and waypoints,  but I cannot divine a way to break this ~ 180 mile path into three or more subtracks.  In Google Earth I see the track and a list of waypoints,  but I can't find the waypoints from skipper bay to Steinhatchee, although the path is displayed.

I could bring it into ArcGis and do it, but I'd lose the formatting it needs for Garmin.
Has anyone in SHRUG land worked with Garmin's GPX or KML files? Simply displaying the track is easy, manipulating it less so.

William  B. Porter     william.porter at famu.edu<mailto:william.porter at famu.edu>     850 412 5972
Application Coordinator for GIS / Infrastructure
Florida A&M University
EIT / GIS
Perry-Paige, West Wing Ground floor,
Office 1 -C