shrug-l: Numbering Hydrants

Peterson, Lance Lance.Peterson at talgov.com
Wed May 18 10:38:44 EDT 2016

From an inventory management point of view, an information rich label such as this really identifies a location and not the hydrant itself. If asset management is important, when a hydrant is moved then the label for that hydrant would change. From a database design standpoint that is an problematic system since you then have the identifier for an object changing. Of course you could have a location label and an inventory label but that kind of begs the question of why bother.

Lance Peterson
Web Applications Developer
Technology and Innovation Dept.
City of Tallahassee
850-891-2019

From: SHRUG-L [mailto:shrug-l-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us] On Behalf Of Eric Songer
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 10:07 AM
To: Porter, Bill
Cc: Espinosa, Dan; shrug-l at lists.dep.state.fl.us
Subject: Re: shrug-l: Numbering Hydrants

I'll be honest. I find the whole "smart" identifier a monumental pain in the butt and never worth the effort. When I drive around my home town, I don't know what lat long to 8 decimal places, PLSS section, or National Map Grid I am in. Why is this in the ID? Now you have to have an application, or a spreadsheet to generate an ID.I don't see the utility (see what I did there?)

  -Eric